Our friendly hostel is situated in New Haven on the edge of the Catlins Estuary right next to a beautiful beach (Surat Bay) inhabited by native New Zealand Sea Lions.
This is a spectacular and inspiring place to base yourself for a few days, and experience one of New Zealand’s finest natural havens of wonderful scenery and wildlife in its native environment.
We are 5 kilometres from Owaka (the main town in the Catlins) and off the Southern Scenic Route that runs between Te Anau, Invercargill and Dunedin.
We are a Budget Backpacker Hostel – the largest hostel network, currently over 325 hostels, in New Zealand – and we offer guaranteed prices for BBH Club Card members.
- 2 Lounge and Dining areas each with TV & DVD
- Free 500mb Wifi
- Free Tea, Coffee & Hot Chocolate
- Free Local Calls
- DVD’s and Games, Book Exchange
- Private Rooms with Sea-Views
- Disabled and Child Friendly
- Conservatory Lounge facing Catlins Estuary
- BBQ Area plus Outside tables
- Beach-facing Garden
- Group rates, Exclusive hire rates, plus discounts for stays of 5 days or more
- Free Local Information and Binoculars for wildlife viewing.
Surat Bay Lodge
Local Catlins’ Attractions
Owaka Museum – 5 minutes by car.
Hina Hina – for the collection of Fresh Cockles at Low Tide – 10 minutes by car.
Kaka Point for the collection of Fresh NZ Mussels and Paua at low tide – 20 minutes by car.
Parakanui falls – 15 minutes by car.
Jack’s Blowhole and Jack’s Bay – 20 minutes by car.
Nugget Point and Roaring Bay for Yellow-Eyed Penguin Spotting – 30 minutes by car.
Papatowai, McLeans Falls, Cathedral Caves, Curio Bay, Slope Point and more, are all just half hour to an hours drive from Surat Bay!